–present RAMSEY COUNTY - St. Paul, MN
Chief Information Officer
Government, second-most populous county in Minnesota, containing Minnesota’s state capital.
Direct and manage all aspects of Information Services for Ramsey County. Lead the vision, strategy, and governance for information technology in the County, ensuring alignment with the County’s vision, mission, and goals and industry best practices. $45 million biennium budget.
- Through an Information Technology Plan, lead the strategic direction for IT and guide all staff in the achievement of this vision for Ramsey County.
- Create and maintain highly professional, customer-oriented, innovative, and future-focused IT capabilities in the department including operations, enterprise applications, information security, and project management office.
- Ensure the provision of secure and stable IT services in a cost effective manner to support business outcomes through effective risk management strategies.
- Ensure physical and logical security of all County computing assets, including data.
- Direct the development of and promotion of policies and standards covering County-wide IT related functions including procurement, technical infrastructure, information security, records management, and projects.
- Manage the development of IT annual budgets and monitor performance against established budgets and plans; communicate on behalf of IT to state auditors.
- Continuously and proactively seek ways for IT to deliver value to the County, including identification of new sourcing opportunities. Help the County realize new IT enabled business opportunities.
- Direct IT governance for the County. Serve on County-wide committees including the County Manager’s Senior Management Team, and chair the County’s Technology Governance Committee. Participate in planning and policy making at the executive level.
- Direct and perform special studies for the County to identify areas of potential improvements in IT and across the County’s IT delivery structure.
- Maintain liaison with other public and private organizations.
Major accomplishments include:
- Transform IT governance from discussion group into action-oriented, decision-making, direction-setting group.
- IT Consolidation
- Operational improvements
- Leadership development
- Change management
- IT Security
Fall 2015 & Spring 2017 UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA MORRIS - Morris, MN
Morris campus. Four-year liberal arts university.
CSCI 4609 Processes, Programming, and Languages: Usability of Open Source Software.
– UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA - Morris & Minneapolis, MN
– Director of Information Technology
Morris campus. Four-year liberal arts university.
Campus IT Executive / Campus CIO. Provide IT leadership and oversee operations for Morris campus. Technology strategy, budgeting, IT infrastructure, business continuity, data security, system upgrades, and project management. Align teams, projects, and effort to reduce costs. Leverage central and cloud systems. Five direct staff members and five dotted-line employees. Align and partner with three technology support units towards a single technology vision.
- $105,000+ build-up in reserve funds achieved by eliminating redundant services. Consolidated three separate information directory systems. Retired outdated systems and migrated services to Cloud and shared services.
- Led three-month project to migrate 300 faculty / staff and 1,900 students from an outdated desktop-based email system to Google Apps for Education.
- $1.5 million project initiated and completed to upgrade campus network and improve wireless coverage.
- Supported campus customers by establishing work planning process that articulated time commitments and resources allocated to work efforts.
- Led 10-member team of students, faculty, and staff to develop and implement an IT Masterplan, strategize and prioritize IT and technology requirements with campus resources.
- Spearheaded web project to implement first responsive web design, 40,000 objects and 10,000 web pages, enabling students to access their admissions application and other information via mobile devices.
- Within six months, successfully resolved and cleared six major audit findings from an inherited three-year old audit that was previously unresolved.
- Recognized in the Top 50 Most Technologically Advanced Small Colleges 2015. bestcollegesonline.org »
- Recognized by the US EPA for the Low Carbon IT Campaign. energystar.gov »
2006– Senior Manager, Infrastructure & Operations
Office of Information Technology. Supporting over 65,000 students system-wide.
Equivalent to Senior Director in other IT organizations. Promoted to lead operations for University’s Office of Information Technology, supporting over 65,000 students system-wide. Directed 40-staff organization supporting two-thirds of enterprise IT services that included systems administration of 1,100+ servers, storage, backup, database administration, disaster recovery planning, and desktop support functions. Simplify, standardize, and automate systems and processes to reduce cost. Supported all ERP (PeopleSoft) launches.
- $1.2 million in support costs slashed by creating strategic sourcing model for desktops, laptops, and servers.
- $101,500 in savings captured by assisting a department in consolidating three support units.
- $38,400 to $19,000 reduction in annual infrastructure costs secured by overseeing outsourcing initiative to centralize web hosting functions.
- Supported 1,100+ Linux, Unix, and Windows enterprise servers by consolidating five system administrations groups into a single, more effective unit.
- Reorganized and consolidated database hosting teams to centralize 168 Oracle database instances supporting nine enterprise constituent groups.
2001–2006 Manager, Systems Administration
Office of Information Technology. Combined system support for Unix, Linux, and Windows servers.
Managed 20 Systems Administrators supporting 1,100+ enterprise servers. Combined system support for Unix, Linux, and Windows servers. Set up and managed strategic IT direction for projects, including workload and staff alignment.
- Spearheaded $1+ million purchase of a Solaris Enterprise Server System in support of ERP implementation project.
- Combined three disparate Unix support teams into a single coordinated unit, turning around an under-performing group previously considered “unmanageable” into a successful team.
–2001 Manager, Web Production
Office of Information Technology. Innovative new group to support enterprise web systems.
Supervised a dedicated team to support emerging web unit. Innovative new group to support enterprise web systems.
- Saved $975,000 by migrating university registration system from supercomputer-class hardware to 10 low-cost Intel-based Linux servers to improve system reliability and performance.
- Created and led Web Advanced Labs group to examine and develop emerging technology.
- Launched a new technology solution within 30 days to fulfill legislative request in providing course evaluations.
1996– ACCESS MANAGEMENT - Minneapolis, MN
IT Manager & Systems Administrator
Company specializing in legal document management solutions.
Managed information technology teams to provide desktop support, network management, and systems administration supporting business operations.
- Oversaw project to deploy company’s first corporate website that included adoption of new technology for advertising, becoming one of the first legal companies to establish website.
- Cost and effort savings by consolidating six corporate file servers to a single Novell Netware server.
–1996 VISTA INFORMATION SOLUTIONS (formerly DATAMAP) - Eden Prairie, MN
Associate Manager of IS & Systems Administrator
Company specializing in data informatics, custom maps and related products.
Managed small information technology groups at two national locations. Maintained Unix and Apollo systems to support business operations in geographic and environmental data.
- Migrated outdated Apollo servers to Windows NT and Linux systems. Consolidate Unix servers to Linux.
- Led successful integration of central technology operations as part of a merger of two companies and approximately 200 staff across two states.